Friday, November 9, 2007

First Cut by Aaron

Dearest Bobbi and Mario,
It was great to meet the both of you on Tuesday and I’m really looking forward to getting going with the project. As I believe I mentioned, I applied to this as a reader. So I thought a good way to kick off would be to share what I wrote in the application. I should note that there was a 200-word limit, and that explains why it might seems a bit scattered. But scattered may not be a bad place to start…

What issue in Baltimore would you try to address through the Urbanite Project?

While there are other phenomena in Baltimore that are more grisly (and HBO-ready), none is as barren and yet oddly mesmerizing as “commuting.”

Since my morning way to work is a five-minute walk, I find this to be a most bizarre event. That so many make such a choice is startling, and such an action reflects a great deal about humanity as well as our city.

Of course the subject is pregnant with irony (and thus my quotations): “Commute” as a verb means “to shorten.”

My vision for a project on “commuting” goes beyond imagining attractive non-car alternatives (although I do expect them to be part of the conversation) by examining how the austere spaces of “commute” (Downtown JFX et al.) can better reflect the whimsy and diversity that are so corporeal in the rest of our city. How can we inject the character of Baltimore into this, the busiest—yet most drab—part of town? One specific online component of the project could be an “alternate route generator,” whereby readers can see corridors, arteries, and ways they never knew. A holistic exploration of the meaning and manifestation of the “commute” seems a great fit for the project because of its many possibilities, and I hope we are able to discuss it further.

I mentioned to Bobbi that I’m a bit of a transportation junkie, and that’s probably reflected here. I like the idea of focusing the project on commuting because it’s the primary interaction with Baltimore for so many, and yet it is overlooked as such.

I’m also interested in promoting entrepreneurship, and in particular, getting people access to knowledge and advice to help them get started. I’ve always thought that the primary barrier to entry for many is the lack of access to know-how and advice on getting started. Start-up capital of course an issue, but how might we help people access knowledge on getting started? Might there be a role for technology here? Or is a physical space more appropriate? Friends and I have kicked around the concept of a coffee shop that employed a few financial advisors in addition to the normal kitchen staff. People could come in and talk about their ideas over coffee. As you both have each been catalysts in the building of lasting institutions, what was the most crucial help that you received and how did you find and employ it?

Well, those are a couple of half-baked ideas that have been floating around me for a little while. I’ll be getting a few more blogged in over the weekend. I’m anxious to hear your responses and deep dark ideas for Baltimore. Let’s hear it!

No comments: